Author Topic: WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE  (Read 1265 times)

Offline buckslayer

• ODT Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • ODT Master
    • View Profile
    • Minnesota Conceal Carry Classes
WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
« on: July 04, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »
This recipe has been posted all over the internet and has had a lot of good responces over the years so I figured I'd pass it along.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $25.00-40.00 depending on where you get the supplies.

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:42:27 AM by buckslayer »
Dealer for: Scent Blocker, Lone Wolf, Thompson Center, Moultrie, Cuddeback, PSE, and much more! Drop me a PM for details.

Offline eyesonice

• OutdoorTrader Addict
  • I live on OutdoorTrader.net!
    • View Profile
Re: WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:58:34 PM »
I wish we could try this out but we are 1 of 4 counties in NW Wisconsin that has a feeding ban for deer. They found a doe that tested positive for CWD about 15 miles from my house. It is the only 1 so far but they are worried.
Safety above all else!
EXTREME CARNIVORE
Become one with nature then marinate it!

Offline buckslayer

• ODT Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • ODT Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »
I wish we could try this out but we are 1 of 4 counties in NW Wisconsin that has a feeding ban for deer. They found a doe that tested positive for CWD about 15 miles from my house. It is the only 1 so far but they are worried.

This isn't defined as feeding here in Minnesota which is nice because I enjoy getting minerals out there for deer, and am not really into the whole feeding deer thing anyways.

If they allow for minerals anywhere else but you're worried about spreading diseases, one of the things you can do with minerals is just spread it all over the place or at several areas all over the woods. It will seem pointless to do that because there is no way you could ever hunt over the minerals that way, but the point is getting the minerals to the deer to improve their health, not to shoot them over the minerals.  I like to get minerals spread out in as many places on our land as I can as early as I can so it benifits them when they need it most. I'm even all for getting it our there in March when the does have yet to drop their fawns yet so they get a healthy start.
Dealer for: Scent Blocker, Lone Wolf, Thompson Center, Moultrie, Cuddeback, PSE, and much more! Drop me a PM for details.

Offline eyesonice

• OutdoorTrader Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 04:15:52 PM »
I believe that their take on feeding or baiting is any unnatural placement of attractant or food that is not for agricultural purposes. I would imagine that even minerals spread out over an area would fall into that catagory. Hopefully after the car kills and hunting kill tests dont show any other deer up here with it they will loosen it up a bit.
Safety above all else!
EXTREME CARNIVORE

Offline eyesonice

• OutdoorTrader Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 05:49:55 PM »
There was an updated artical today in one of the papers that they have tested over 50 other deer so far with no other instances found yet. That is very good news.
Safety above all else!
EXTREME CARNIVORE

Offline buckslayer

• ODT Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • ODT Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 06:53:35 AM »
I was at Fleet Farm last night and found out that they carry all of the stuff needed to make this mineral blend and the prices really didn't change that much. I'll be picking up tripple the amount so I can load our land up on minerals next spring. My goal is to place 1,000 pounds or more total weight out there so the deer have several options on getting minerals and feel less forced to walk to one or two areas to get it.

Offline buckslayer

• ODT Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • ODT Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 07:27:46 PM »
It's getting to that time of year again when many of us will be placing minerals out there for the deer, so I thought I'd bring this recipe back up again.

It does work guys and gals!